Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gram's Recipes - Edith's Dream Cake

Last night while sitting here at the computer, I had something come to mind ... it actually hit me in the head as it fell from the shelf above my computer. Let me explain. I cook and I bake ... and I'm fairly good at it. I think who taught me was a tie between Mom and Grandmom Spares (here after known as "Gram"). I was always encouraged to bake and did my fair share. One of the things I inherited from Gram was her old recipe box. Thats what hit me on the head last night. I have always meant to make a book to share the recipes with the rest of the family. Most of my cousins were too young to bake with Gram but they do, for the most part, remember her. After going thru some of the recipe cards last night while picking them up off the floor, I discovered that they are fading fast. The old plastic typewriter that Gram had didn't have a very good ribbon in it, so it was pretty faded to start with. Grams writing is fairly easy to read but is also fading on some of the cards so I need to get these recipes copied. I'm going to post them here. I will post them exactly as they are written on the cards. Some do not have any baking instructions but if you bake at all, you should be able to figure it out.

The first recipe is Edith's Dream Cake (Edith was Gram's sister, married to Grandad's brother)

Edith's Dream Cake
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp flavoring
2 eggs

Cream shortening: sift flour, baking powder, salt & sugar together. Add all dry ingredients to creamed shortening. Beat. Add milk & flavoring. Beat well. Add unbeaten eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jan. I did get to bake with Gram as well though I didn't get her recipe box. ;) Where's her biscuit recipe? I did copy a few of hers when we baked them at her place. - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete